Let’s Get Cooking: BEANS 10 Ways
When minimizing shopping outings, non-perishable foods are playing a bigger role in our gluten-free diets. High on the list of non-perishables that offer great nutrition and versatility are BEANS! Whether you cook up your own from dried, or prefer to use canned, here are some ideas. We’re including a few recipes. Use these as starting points and ideas, and tailor to your likes and to what you have in your kitchen.
- Delicious and classic, rice and beans. https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-the-world-does-beans-and-rice-in-24-recipes/
- Add to vegetable soup and voila, you have a meal. (Red, pinto, black or white beans work great.) Use your own favorite vegetable soup recipe or start with canned.
- Never made your own re-fried beans? You may have more time at home now, so this is a great time to try it out! https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/refried-beans/
- Pasta with beans. White beans are especially delicious with pasta: they get nice and creamy. This recipe gives you the basic idea. (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pasta-with-creamy-white-beans-5545397
- Chili with beans. Pull the ground beef out of your freezer and make some good old “Cincinatti Chili.” https://www.pepper.ph/cook-book-try-cincinnati-specialty-recipe-well-loved-culinary-bible/
- Traditional baked beans. Nice and comforting. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016258-baked-beans?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6sHzBRCbARIsAF8FMpUMXiAdy_T2Nx89vVSeBkpJlAFP_t8uY1bDfRlPi-sLKfLKnMdTt-AaAgJiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
- Senate Bean Soup. https://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm.
- Tacos and burritos. Corn tortillas or other GF tortillas/wraps. Add scrambled eggs for breakfast or brunch. Use pintos or black beans, whole or refried.
- Hummus! Making your own is simple and delicious. Canned garbanzos work great. https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/five-minute-hummus-recipe
- Other beans, like black, work great for dip too. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hurry-up-black-bean-dip-243226