What are some of the most important questions to ask the wait staff or management of a food service or restaurant?
Here are some things to ask when eating out:
- May I see a gluten-free menu or allergen list?
- Is there a dedicated fryer for gluten-free foods?
- Are these sauces certified gluten-free? If made in-house, do they know if they contain gluten? Worcestershire-type sauces and soy sauce could contain gluten.
- Does this contain flour or roux? Roux is flour and fat cooked together to thicken soups. The flour used is often wheat flour.
- Are your marinades and seasonings gluten-free? What is in your marinades and what seasonings are used in this dish?
- Is the grill used to cook gluten-free foods separate or shared with gluten foods? If shared, how is it cleaned and how often?
- Can my meal be cooked in a separate pan from gluten foods?
- Can I have my egg soft-boiled? Soft-boiled eggs remain in their shell which limits the chance of cross-contact in a pan.